2012年11月14日星期三

Beijing: visit Eunuch Tianyi’s Tomb

I am obsessed with all of ancient buildings. To be more specific, I like to explore the age-old culture behind them. Traveling through around Beijing, I can see the cultural relics of Ming and Qing Dynasties everywhere. I have been to the Imperial palace, various temples, old streets and ancient tombs. But this time when I claim that I’m planning to go to Tianyi Tomb, my best friend strongly objected: “ Why are you so interested with tombs? You have just been to East Qing Tombs not long ago, let alone it is a eunuch tomb.” He means graveyard is is a inauspicious place, but in my heart, I don’t see it as a horrible place. I go there for the history.
Tian Yi (1534-1605) was a eunuch of the imperial court for 63 years. He served three emperors and eventually became the director of ceremonies, the fourth ranking position in the political structure of the time. After Tian Yi's death, Ming Emperor Wan Li ordered a tomb erected in honor of Tian Yi's lasting service to the country. Six other eunuchs chose to be buried alongside him out of respect and admiration for his work.
The most eye-catching feature of Tianyi’s mausoleum is the stone carvings. Many auspicious motifs such as dragons, lions and deer and also plants like Asiatic plantain and Ganoderma mushrooms.Marble sculptures around the tombs depicts ancient anecdotes, such as Sun Kang studying by the light of snow, Su Wu tending sheep and Yang Xu hanging fish.
In fact, many glorious history were made by eunuchs like Cai Lun’s paper-making techniques and Zheng He’s voyage to western ocean.

没有评论:

发表评论